Tuesday, May 06, 2008

relax, we're fine...

That wireless network did, in fact, disappear over the weekend. Monday I was supposed to call the fiber-optic provider on island and arrange for an installation appointment. But as it turns out, Monday and Tuesday were Japanese holidays. Today when I called, they told me that it will be three weeks, which is apparently better than the six week wait that others on the island are experiencing. I have not told Tim this news yet, he is at work and without his phone in the secured area. So the kids and I wandered up here to the closest base library, near the hotel we stayed in, and picked up a wi-fi signal here.
Let me try to remember what we did this weekend. I know we ate at Awase Soba, on traditional low tables, sans shoes. I think it was the traditional Okinawan food. broth, soba noodles, chinese cabbage, bean sprouts, and leeks. Slurping noodles is considered good manners here, and believe me the kids had no trouble participating. We also found a Japanese hardware store called Makeman and bought bamboo stick curtains for our room, as well as a few clothesline supplies. I have a new Japanese dryer which works very well, but I am using the clothesline as much as possible, to avoid a high electricity bill. We had grand time translating the convection oven the other night. We ended up calling the owner in the end, he and I decided to combine efforts to find the English versions of all the manuals and get them in one place. Yesterday the kids and I found a Japanese 'leap-frog' style toy. It uses a magnetic pen and interchangeable cards (large ones, maybe 14" square) and has both kana alphabets, with beginning sounds pictures, it talks in Japanese. I am not explaining it very well, I'll try to get a picture. Basically its audience is preschool age Japanese children, not American children. It was pricey, but worth it, as we are all enjoying it very much.
So the kids are finishing up here at the library and we have to go check our mail box and fill up the gas tank. Tim may be getting home earlier than usual today, I believe we'll go finish our fiber-optic application (there's a Starbucks on that side of the island!) and shop for dishes somewhere. Sorry for the drop in communication - I am not sure how often I will be able to get up here to the library for wi-fi, but I am sure it will be at least once a week, probably more.

3 comments:

Mary Ellen said...

Hello! T is enroute to Tokyo right now. I miss you all! Oh Caroline asked me the other day if we could get in the car to go see the cousins. I hope everyone is well. Please let me know what you are missing from the US. I would love to send it to you.

nana judith said...

Hey, girl...we are so proud of you all, just absorbing a new culture, new food, new language..It was good to get an update. I figured you'd dropped off radar, but still, this is me, and worry is my specialty. We will miss you this weekend, and we are excited, both boys graduating, AND our first trip with Nigel. I think we will get him shampooed before we leave. Everyone is excited about getting to play with him up there. we'll get you some pictures. What else can we send? love to all..

Josee said...

What a relief ... I was just about to hop on a plane to Japan to come find you. By the way, can you get Dunkin' Donuts coffee there? I have a few coupons for it and thought about sending you some.