Sunday, April 20, 2008

another trip to the commissary

I had a better look at the commissary today, as our sponsor's wife came to get us and run us around a little. My hope is to get to know what is available that is grown locally and adjust my menus accordingly. Particularly with produce. Now, I learned today that this commissary we were in is the smallest of all. That was a relief, however, I don't see driving to a farther store, just as a matter of practicality. A few of the prices that I took mental note of: $4.50 for about 2 cups of black seedless grapes, $3.79 for 9 small Japanese button mushrooms (see picture below), $2.40 half gallon of 2%milk, $1.95 for a long loaf of honey wheat bread, $3.11 for two large purple sweet potatoes (local), $1.04 for a pound of bananas, and $.99 per pound for local carrots (see picture also), $1.14 for a bag of Italian precut salad (Danielle says that the salad comes in on Saturdays, so don't buy it Thursday or Friday), the baby carrots in the picture cost $.89 for 20 of them (they appeared to have been repackaged, as they came in little takeout tubs).

Check out the pictures...





We also went to a Japanese McDonald's (I don't want to hear it, I hadn't eaten in 5 hours and was shaky and desperate for something quick and easy), and to two different 100 Yen stores. One was inside another store. The kids got character chopsticks, hello kitty and cars, with little carrying cases for them. I got some yarn and needles, also scissors since my were confiscated in Osaka, a Japanese multiplication table poster with a picture of a family bathing together with the poster on the wall of the bathroom. There were many strange sights on the packaging, too much to note here. It was kind of overwhelming, the kids were melting and hanging on me and I was getting shaky and tired again. I, at least, had the presence of mind to say I had had enough, as they had too. And we got out of there. Only to go to the next 100 Yen store, got the kids some juice boxes, peach, apple, and pineapple. We are back at our hotel now and every one is zoning out to a movie (the lodge front desk has free movie and play station games to checkout for one or two nights). Tim and I were up pretty early again today - sometime between 2 and 4 am, probably because I fell asleep at 7:45, as did the kids - they were up around 6 or 7 am. I guess we aren't doing as well as I thought we were with the jet lag. I am so exhausted that I get dizzy and can barely function by 4 pm. It's normal though, it can take a week or two to adjust to a complete night and day swap like this.
We did go to the tep-panyaki place last night, it was delicious, and the kids even ate with chopsticks!! But they were so tired and such a mess (by our normal standards, considering what they have been through they are doing well) it was hard to enjoy it. We took a cab, out there and back.
Also we may have found a place to live. Tim has seen it, I haven't yet. Close to here, Japanese style house with large patios all around. I'll let him post some pictures and details soon.
More news, there are two functions this week on this base, with in walking distance of our lodge, held by the Christian homeschool support group. One is a book club meeting at the chapel Tuesday afternoon. And the other is mom's night out - dinner at the O-Club. Apparently, there is also a beach within walking distance. We've got time, I think, to check everything out.

1 comment:

sarahp said...

Hello Lewis Family. I am so glad that you all got there safely. Let the adventure begin!!!! Sounds like you are having fun finding out all of the different Japanese things. Thank God for McDonalds. Nothing is better when you are hungry and tired than a quarter pounder fries and happy meals.Smile. Does a purple sweet potatoe taste like an orange one? Thank you so much for the gift for Kaitlin. That was so thoughtful of you. Sarah Steele got it to me. I hate that we missed you that night you were here. You all are in my thoughts and prayers. Let me know if I can ship you anything you can't find. Take care. Good luck in the house hunting. Sarah Chandler Peterson