Thursday, November 17, 2005

Thanks for the comment, GrumbleGrouch...

... as it gives me a chance to clarify my views on the decision recently handed down by the U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit in California. If you have not already read the comment left on my blog by GrumbleGrouch the other day, take a moment to do so.

GrumbleGrouch said...

I don't understand why anyone would want the facts of human reproduction (which are the same for everyone) to be taught at home, while insisting that religion (which is different for different people) be practiced in the schools. That seems exactly backwards.

I googled Mr. Grumble Grouch (he's a stranger to me) after reading this comment. As it turns out, he actually is a very grouchy person. So I will take a chance here and assume that he is not really directing his comments at me. I am willing to take some of the blame for his reaction, as my original post was brief and only served to convey my shock at the news story I had read, and not fully explain what I really think. So, allow me lay to it all out now...

Sexual education with regards to human reproductive systems (fact) obviously need not be removed from public school curriculum. Moral elements (opinion) of sexual education, however, should be hands-off as far as the government is concerned. As parents, we cannot give up the right to teach our own children as we choose - human reproduction, sexual morality, the Bible, intelligent design, all of it. I am not sure what breed of people Mr. Grumble Grouch refers to in his comment, it seems to me that people who want moral aspects of sexual education taught at home would not necessarily be the same people who want religion in schools. As far as I am concerned, religion has no place in public schools - to be taught by the government? No, thank you. (Freedom to pray and read the Bible on school property is a different issue.) I am not acquainted with anyone who has the beliefs that Mr. Grumble Grouch complains about.

As for our family, we believe that children learn best at home,
with curiosity as their natural motivator, not subjective grades and tests, and at their own pace, not a prescription based on national averages. We believe in God's original classroom design - the family, and the original certified teachers - their parents.



Take a minute to read this article on the HSLDA - Homeschool Legal Defense Association - website for a homeschoolers point of view on the dangerousness of the precedent set by the Ninth Circuit Court decision.

No comments: